had a Date with Chocolate.
And of course he wanted his favorite…
I smiled at the task 🙂
and began to search for a healthier chocolate cake recipe that I knew he would find just as scrumptious!
I am happy to announce I succeeded in making the birthday boy a delectable gluten-free and paleo treat
that is naturally sweetened with dates and maple syrup.
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup (ROOM TEMP!)
- 2 eggs (ROOM TEMP!)
- 2 t vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking powder) in a large bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the wet ingredients (melted coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract). NOTE: It is important that the maple syrup and eggs are at room temperature, otherwise the coconut oil will begin to harden and clump into yucky chunks.
- Take the bowl with the wet ingredients and add them to the bowl with the dry. Mix with a whisk until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Spray your 8” round cake pan and then proceed to pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 10 dates
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 T melted coconut oil
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 4-6 T date soaking water
- Soak the dates in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes to help soften them.
- Place the dates, cocoa powder, coconut oil, cinnamon, and vanilla extract into a food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly begin to add the date soaked water until you get the fudgey consistency you want. I used roughly 6 tablespoons but you may want less or more!
- Once your cake has cooled, cover it with the fudge icing. I topped it with raspberries as that’s my Dad’s favorite. Cut a slice, and dive in!
Inspired by: Carob cake.